A new path to opportunity
After ten years, Racquet Up has proven it can help youth to succeed in school and access college:
- 100% of students to complete the program have graduated from high school and enrolled in college
- 116 college acceptances received from 30 different colleges and universities by 24 alumni
- $1.9m in college scholarships and financial aid offered to two classes of seniors to date
EDUCATION – HEALTH – CHARACTER
Racquet Up offers a holistic program built on strong relationships with students and their families:
In the past year:
- RUD students attended school at a rate of 92% compared with the 80% Detroit average
- 94% of students completed two or more college visits
- 84% of students took part in 1 or more service projects
- 78% of students improved or maintained their time in the mile run
- RUD had 289 competitive squash exposures at 18 matches and tournaments in 12 cities across the US, including 24 top finishes.
- 60% of students decreased or maintained their score in the beep test
- RU students provided 300 hours of service to Keep Growing Detroit, the Northwest Activities Center, Neighborhood Service Organization, and more.
- Students completed 12 cultural visits including the Detroit Institute of Arts, Outdoor Adventure Center and Eastern Market, Detroit.
- RUD provided 17 college exposure activities, including a college panel, career panel, campus visits and 4-day overnight Midwest college tour.
10 Years Strong
After 10 years of programming for youth and families in Northwest Detroit, Racquet Up Detroit has much to celebrate! In a special anniversary report, Ten Years Strong, you can read about how the program was founded, its growth, and its impact. The report also includes reflections from members of the Racquet Up Community: students, graduates, parents, volunteers, and community partners. We invite you to take the time to enjoy this one-off publication and celebrate Racquet Up Detroit 10 Years Strong.