RU Wraps Up a Summer of Adventures
Racquet Up students had a busy summer of academics, squash, cultural field trips, college visits, and career exploration. Twenty-six students traveled to third-party camps for 46 weeks of programming. Students attended programs at: Camp Hayo-Went-Ha, Ohiyesa, Nissokone, Deerfield Academy, Kenyon Squash Camp, Phillips Exeter Academy, Hotchkiss School, Lawrence Tech Summer Camp, Windsor Squash Camp, Detroit Zoo Camp, and the SEA Citizenship Tour. In addition, many students participated in camps hosted by Racquet Up, including: Eco Encounters, RU Summer Camp, RU Connected Coding Camp, Squash Intensive, Career Exploration Camp, and College Prep Tour. These camps encouraged students to explore new interests, improve squash skills, and prepare for college and a career.
Summer engagement is an important part of Racquet Up’s program, as it helps to reduce summer learning loss and prepares students for the coming school year. From outdoor exploration and coding video games, to thinking about their impact in the community and preparing for their future, students had many valuable and inspiring experiences this year.
Some highlights include:
- Jaz’mene meeting communications professionals, and politicians on the SEA Citizenship Tour
- Students visiting the Wayne County Courts, US District Courts, Coleman A. Young Municipal Center, Crain’s Detroit Business, and Detroit Public Television during the RU Summer Camp to learn about citizenship
- Students building their own video games and exploring Detroit tech companies within Quicken Loans during RU Connected
- Seniors participating in admission interviews at Oberlin College on the College Prep Tour and receiving five hours of one-on-one support to prepare personal statements for college applications
- Trips to eight regional employers with high school students to explore career pathways, including Hitachi Automotive US, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Oakland Regional Hospital, Smith Group, Dykema, University of Michigan, and the Detroit Athletic Club
- Experienced students being hired as Program Assistants to support the RU Summer Camp as coaches and mentors to younger students
Thank you to all of our supporters, partners, and volunteers who made this summer one to remember!